Sunday 6 April 2014

Being a Better Wife - 1950's Style

When I was a teenager, I sneered at descriptions of what a 1950's housewife should be. I found it to be demeaning, outdated and chauvinistic. I was offended.

Now, having been married almost two years, I am able to look at things from a different point of view.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that anyone else has to agree with this. It is my own personal conviction and should remain as such. If you agree with me, awesome. If you don't, that's great too. What a boring world if everybody agreed on everything!


The following statements were taken from a 1950's home economics textbook.

1) Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return.

How I interpret this: It is really in your best interest to plan meals ahead of time. Now, I get that some days we just don't have the energy to do this, whether we are sick, PMS-ing or just plain exhausted. That's okay. I think we get a few lenient days. But as a general rule, this makes sense to follow.

2) Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch-up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be refreshed looking.

How I interpret this: I would be amazingly thankful for a 15 minute "rest" everyday. And I certainly don't see anything wrong with looking visually appealing to your husband. Again, we all have off days. And if you are sick and in your pyjamas when your husband gets home, that is okay. Just don't make it a daily thing. Woman are so focused on their own "rights" and on being the dominant partner that they forget to try and please their husbands. I don't think you need to put a "ribbon" in your hair, but running a brush through it doesn't hurt. Obviously if you don't wear makeup, you don't need to touch it up. But I see no issue with putting on a fresh coat of lipstick or mascara when you are expecting him to return. Even throwing on a shirt he likes makes a difference. You might think he doesn't notice; believe me, he does.

3) Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

How I interpret this: This again isn't a bad thing. Personally, I am so happy to see my husband when he gets home. Even if I am so mad at him and want to hit him, part of me is happy and usually that part of me bubbles through to the surface. Hug him. Kiss him. Tell him you missed him. Don't be afraid to be sappy and corny.

4) Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

How I interpret this: This particular one isn't just for your husband; its for you as well. If your home is peaceful and tranquil, you will feel better as well. And personally, I find it to be more peaceful when things are in order. This doesn't mean your house has to be spotless at all times. But taking care of your home and children (if you have them) is the responsibility of the housewife. People like to come home and relax after working; whether its your husband or yourself. This doesn't mean he should get home and sit on the couch watching TV while you clean, nor that he should have to work while you go take a nap. You can help one another do what needs to be done as long as you make sure to take the time to relax and actually enjoy one another's company.

5) Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he must have gone through all day.

How I interpret this: This one is a tough one. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I don't disagree either. I feel you can completely ignore the second half of this, because it is unnecessary. In my opinion, if your husband feels the need to stay out all night, then yes, it is a big deal. This does not give you permission to nag and whine. Take it as a cue to talk about things that might be bothering him. Work through it together. I don't think this is something that should be overlooked or ignored. You don't need to know where the other is every second of every day, but I do believe you owe it to one another to let the other know if you will be home later than expected. But I do not believe you should complain about it, because it will put distance between the two of you and possibly make the situation worse.

6) Catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

How I interpret this: I find this to be fairly accurate. If you try your best to please your husband, I believe you will feel a deep inner peace about it. And the more you try to care for his needs, the more he will respond and turn around and do the same. I know I sound super old-fashioned to say this, but I believe it is a wife's role to take care of her husband when she can, just as it is the husband's role to protect and provide for his wife. I know this is a different time, with women going to work and even some men staying home with the kids, and that is not a bad thing. Obviously people all have a different situation, but for us personally this is how we roll and it works out great for us.


Again, you don't need to agree with everything I have said. In fact, I welcome your comments. Maybe you can make me look at it a different way. I hope I've been able to do that for you.

God bless your marriages (current or future) and have a wonderful week!

With love <3

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment