Monday 7 April 2014

40 Bags in 40 Days

Spring.

What a lovely time of year.

All the birds are coming out, flowers begin to bloom, even the sun makes an appearance.

And then comes the one thing that we all seem to do each and every spring.

Spring cleaning!

Some combination of nicer weather, longer days and having been cooped up all winter makes us all want to clean out the deepest and dirtiest parts of our house.

Now, this "40 bags in 40 days" is really trending. I have been all over the web (mostly Pinterest but even gave Google a try) trying to find a list of what 40 places I am supposed to clean.

I was quite unsuccessful.

So I decided to write my own.

Obviously every home is different. Some people have five bedrooms with closets to clean, some have one or two. Some have a front hall closet, some don't.

Rules for spring cleaning:
Have you used/worn it in the last six months? Keep it.
Is it stained/broken/unusable? Toss it.
Does it still have some use/wear left? Donate it.
Does it belong in a different room/cupboard/closet? Move it.



So I will share the places I will be cleaning this year.

Also, don't feel you have to limit yourself to one thing a day. I plan on getting two or three done most days! (Then the cleaning is done faster too. More time to relax and enjoy a clean home and the fresh spring air!)

So here it goes.

1. Non-bedroom closets
The first place I like to clean is the linen closet. It generally stays fairly tidy and it doesn't take much work to clean. Second, I move onto the front hall closet. Now it's time to clear out some winter stuff, organize shoes, and (hopefully!) toss/donate some things you no longer use. If you have a cleaning closet, this is when you would organize/tidy that.

2. Bedroom closets
This is probably my most dreaded place to tidy. I start with my daughters' closet, which is small and usually fairly well organized. I get rid of outgrown clothes and anything ripped or stained. Next I move to the spare room/craft room closet. This is usually pretty bad and tends to take a while. Obviously if you don't have a spare room you would skip this. Next I move on to my closet (my hubby and I each have our own). This is usually where I get discouraged. I will often find at least a garbage bag of stuff to donate. I toss any shoes that are missing a match, donate purses I no longer care for and give away clothes I probably won't wear again. Note: Even if it is brand new I will donate it if I don't think I will wear it. Next I do my husbands closet, which is usually a lot easier (he has less clothing) and involves straightening things up, hanging fallen shirts and moving anything that shouldn't be in there.

3. Kitchen
Okay. Take a big breath. And get a big box... you should be tossing LOTS from your kitchen cabinets. As the kitchen can be overwhelming, try to do one area a day. Start with the upper cabinets, including the ones above the fridge and stove. Toss anything you haven't used in the past six months, any containers without lids (or lids without containers), anything broken, mismatched or just something you don't like. Next do the bottom cabinets, including under the sink. Try to get rid of as much as you can. Kitchens are like magnets for junk. Follow up with the drawers, including cutlery and junk drawers. Toss, toss, toss! Do the pantry if you have one, get rid of old/expired food, and donate any non-perishable items you aren't going to use. Someone else might be super thankful to have it. Next, the fridge/freezer. Toss anything old or moldy. Check any produce you have. While you are in there, wipe all the shelves and wash out the drawers. Don't forget to put everything away when you are done. Wipe down your counters and stovetop while you are in there.

4. Dressers, end tables, vanitites, etc.
I like to take a break between bedroom stuff, which is why I do the kitchen after closets. You can do this in whatever order you wish. I go through the girls' dresser, donating anything I haven't ever put on them and putting away anything that is too small. I recommend investing in drawer organizers, they are great. Next, my husband's and my dresser. I often find a bunch of stuff of mine to donate. I don't usually get rid of any of his stuff (unless I really don't like it), I just try to organize it. Again, drawer organizers. I then move on to our end tables, which are basically big junk drawers. Put away anything you can and toss anything that you don't really need. Keep a minimal amount of stuff in your bedside drawer. I then go through my jewellery box and vanity, tossing old makeup or broken jewellery, donating any jewellery I don't wear anymore. Don't forgot to toss any old nailpolishes, they have a lot shorter shelf-life than I realized.

5. Garage & outside
This one will likely take a couple days. Try going through all the shelves and boxes in your garage. You will probably find a whole bunch of old or broken stuff that you don't really need. Get rid of it. Sweep the floor, organize, install hooks or shelving if you need organizing help. Next, front porch. Usually fairly easy. Sweep, get rid of any junk that has accumulated. Maybe add a nice potted plant if the weather is nice enough. After your porch looks presentable, move out to the back deck if you have one at your house. Repeat the steps for the porch; sweep, toss, etc. Clean off the BBQ. Get a bin or bucket for any outside kids toys. Tidy any toys in the yard. If you have a dog, get a pooper scooper and pick up all the poo than undoubtedly has gathered throughout the winter. I know it sucks. Do it. Your yard will look much better. Next, the shed (or sheds if you have more than one). Bring out any patio furniture and give it a good wipe-down. Really, just bring everything out of the shed so you can sweep it out and see what you have in there. Only put back in the stuff you want to keep. Install hooks or shelves for rakes, shovels, buckets, gardening gloves, etc. Hopefully it looks better and tidier once you are done.

6. Vehicle
DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Seriously. Don't do it. Cars accumulate a lot of crap throughout the year (or years). Empty everything out. Take seats out if you can. Empty glove compartment and console. Vacuum it (might want a shop vac for this). Vacuum seats. Wash floor mats. Wipe down control panel (or whatever it is called. I don't know anything about cars). Only put back in the stuff you actually need in there. Once everything inside is done, give the outside a good washing. Don't forget the bumpers or wheel wells.

7. Toys & movies
Wherever you keep your kids toys, go through them. Rotate them if you have anything in storage. Sanitize them. Donate any that aren't played with anymore, another kid might be super happy to get them. Go through stuffed animals, books, board games. Get rid of whatever you really don't need or want. Go through all of your movies. Match up empty cases to stray DVDs. Toss any that don't have a match; you probably won't find it. Donate any the kids have outgrown or movies you no longer have any interest in. Do the same with books if you have a whole bunch like me.

8. Pantry, laundry room, furnace room, etc.
This one might also take a while. Go through your pantry, toss expired food. Donate food you will never eat. If you have a chest freezer in your basement, go through it. Go through any shelves, cabinets or cupboards you have in your basement. Put washer through a clean cycle, vacuum out your dryer's link trap. If you have any storage boxes, go through them. Try tackling one or two boxes a day. You will probably find a ton of stuff you forgot you had and probably don't need. Try not to hold on to things you have no use for because they have memories attached to them. Take a picture, make a scrapbook of all these kinds of things. Then toss/donate them. You will feel better after you've gone through them. If you need inspiration, watch an episode or two of Hoarders.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes and if you have anything to add :)

I have already tossed seven bags and two big (I mean BIG) boxes of junk. How are you doing? Comment below and let me know!

God bless!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment